Food shopping vouchers through the Household Support Fund

Adult and child pushing a trolley in a supermarket browse the freezer section

If you or someone you know is struggling to pay the bills, help could be available from the Household Support Fund through Kent County Council (KCC).

Eligible Kent residents will receive a one-off £100 voucher during the summer for use towards their food shopping costs.

Applications are open now until 14 September - or when this funding pot has been spent. It is on a first come, first served basis and is one voucher per qualifying household.

The voucher scheme is for people who are impacted by the cost-of-living crisis and in need but are not currently eligible and therefore not receiving other government support released over recent months.

Families who receive free school meals will receive an additional £100 voucher per eligible child via their school to support with high home energy costs and are therefore not eligible to apply through this scheme.

Professionals from partnership organisations such as Citizens Advice, NHS trusts and housing associations are also referring people into the scheme.

KCC Leader Roger Gough

We know there are a great number of people in Kent who are eligible for these vouchers but they have so far not applied, possibly thinking they do not qualify.

Roger Gough Leader of Kent County Council

Roger Gough, Leader of KCC, said:

“Our priority is to ensure that no one in Kent is left behind as the cost-of-living crisis continues to affect so many families across the county. For some families, the pressures currently being exerted on personal budgets are immense and we want to make sure this funding gets to those who need it, who might not be getting any other support.

“The summer voucher scheme is aimed at people who might not be entitled to other forms of support, and, in some cases, have no idea that any form of financial help is available to them.

“We know there are a great number of people in Kent who are eligible for these vouchers but they have so far not applied, possibly thinking they do not qualify. Many of these residents are being significantly hit by the rising cost of living but might fall between other eligibility criteria.

“I’d like to thank all of our partners across Kent for their continued help in making sure that this funding will reach those who need it the most. Together we will do everything we can to ensure that anyone who needs it can be supported by this scheme.”

Successful applicants will receive the £100 food e-voucher by text or email, or by post as necessary, and it will be valid for 31 days from the date of issue.

They can redeem the voucher at a supermarket of their choice from a list of participating chains which can be selected when initially completing the application form.

Provided by the UK government, the wider Household Support Fund scheme of which this is one element is administered by KCC and designed to support vulnerable Kent residents in need of help with rising living costs.

A proportion of the funding pot has also been made available for Kent’s district and borough councils to put in place support schemes which target specific local need across the county.

Applicants for the £100 food voucher must:

  • be 16 or over
  • be a Kent resident, permanently living within one of the 12 local authorities covered by Kent County Council (this excludes Medway, Bromley, and Bexley)
  • be in receipt of means tested benefits, or household income less than £40,000 per annum before tax
  • not have savings above £1000
  • not be receiving free school meals support for any child within their household (they will be receiving a payment via their children’s school).

To find out more, visit the website:

Household Support Fund - Kent County Council

Further information

This scheme does not require any bank account details and KCC will never request these details over the phone or via email or text message. Be aware of criminals trying to capitalise on the cost of living crisis. Please be vigilant and if you are approached in this way by someone claiming to be from the council, follow this advice:

  • Always report it to Action Fraud
  • Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133 for advice if you think you need it
  • Alert your bank if you have given out your bank details.

Visit KCC’s cost of living support page:

There is help to find your way through the advice and support available with more information on benefits eligibility, reducing energy costs, help paying bills and a support finder in relation to food, council tax, clothing, childcare and more.